Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:06 pm by Chumara

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Fall 2013: Super late edition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fall 2013: Super late edition

Post  Chumara on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 am

I never had time to get around to this, so I suppose this time around since I've seen the first episode of almost everything I wanted to check out (just was able to finish them off today) I can make some comments on how I felt about their first episodes, and see what you guys are watching and think about them. Thahn, since you're talking about Ars and IS2 I dunno if you're really watching much that I can relate to, but we'll see.

Sequels:

Freezing Vibration: It was great to see this show again, also great to see it in widescreen this time around. I forgot how much I enjoyed the first season. This first episode gives me hope that they'll use the overlying plot as a means to move the story forward as I would like them to without actually touching the plot, aka. the Novas/Aliens/Badguys. The show really shines the most when it focuses on the characters and the rivalries between the Pandoras at school etc, when they are deployed to fight the Novas everything really goes downhill.

Little Busters Refrain: God this show sucks, and I just found out they're going to animate Little Busters EX as well, but the first episode was actually enjoyable in the second half mainly because it focused on one of the two characters I actually like. I hope they can wrap this up in 12-13 eps because I don't wanna sit through another 24 episodes like I had to for the first season.

Kuroko no Basket S2: Sequel to what was one of the best shows of it's season, and this new season has already thrown some crazy shit at us. Still strong, and currently the best thing I've seen so far.

Magi ~Kingdom of Magic~: I dunno what I dislike more, this or Little Busters. The first season was really hard to watch, but I was already pretty invested in it. The real problem for me here is that I like the plot, but I hate pretty much all of the characters, ESPECIALLY the main ones. Hopefully this season can step it up because it's going to be another 2-cour ride.

Not really a sequel, but related to an earlier work

White Album 2: I really liked White Album 1, there was some great voice acting and even better DORAMA. The first one dealt with two national level idols and the bro-tag's relationship with them, now in WA2 we bring it down to earth and deal with two girls at a high school and a bro-tag who was inspired by Yuki's "White Album" record (from the first show) to get into music. The first episode did a really great job at hinting at the conflict that will arise later on without shoving it in our face, and any amount of creative subtle-ness that a show can pull off is really appreciated. This was probably my third favorite show I saw so far.

New stuff that I'm watching right off the bat

Pupa: Hasn't come out yet and some sites are saying that it might not actually make it this season. The plot sounds interesting, but it's DEEN so there's a high chance of suck, and since it's not based off of something I've seen before I wouldn't really have a qualm about dropping it.

Miss Monochrome: This show sounded funny and the first episode hit the ball out of the park, definitely continuing.

Coppelion: Sounded like another interesting plot, and the first episode was enjoyable. Luckily they answered most of my questions in the first episode, except for a couple of things like: Why were the 3 specially engineered people only girls? I hope they give us a reason because "let's use only girls as main characters to draw in the audience" is a lame excuse for a show with this type of tone, also WHY NOT GIVE THEM A DAMN CAR?!? They really pulled an Attack on Titan type of setting by giving us a world full of questions and we're going to see it play out to get the answers. I don't really know where this show is going, but I want to find out.

Kyoukai no Kanata: Kyoto Animation's work this time around, first episode wasn't bad, good to see this studio try out the supernatural/battle genre that they really haven't worked with yet. I'll definitely stick with it.

Nagi no Asukara: I was on the edge about this one, but I liked the first episode more than I thought I would, my only complaint is the underwater people are hardly taking advantage of the fact that they're underwater. It's following a similar love route as Ano Natsu, but only with reversed roles, but I'm still interested.

Kill la Kill: Not really much to say about this, I can see why people are hype for it, but it's HIPSTER AS FUCK.

Golden Time: I loved the synopsis, but I only "liked" the first episode. It was definitely not what I was expecting, and I'm hoping that the show doesn't move too slowly, I wonder if I'll be able to drop the show if it starts getting hard to watch mid way through.

Strike the Blood: My favorite NEW show of the season, great setting, enjoyable plot, agreeable characters, etc. Oddly enough I actually wasn't expecting from this show but Silver Link is producing it and I basically have a obligation to Shin Oonuma to watch anything that studio makes, luckily I also like at least 90% of their shows. Now I'm expecting great things to stem from this show's strong beginning.

Diamond no Ace: Shonen Baseball made by Madhouse collaborating with Production I.G.? Yes plz. The first minute was going great, it had a good serious tone to it....... but then the main character basically became Naruto..... ugh....... It'll probably be exciting later on anyways, I mean Pro I.G. is doing Kuroko no Basket as well so they must know how to make sports animes well.

Walkure Romanze: Easily the worst new show I watched, actually I wasn't planning on watching it I just couldn't remember what I had decided for it and watched it anyways..... probably..... most definitely not going to follow through with it.

Non Non Biyori: Japan decided to give me ONE cute girls doing cute things show this season, I'll take it. Oh as a special bonus it's Silver Link again! First episode was basically what I expected, nothing more nothing less, going to stick with it.

BlazBlue Alter Memory: Facebook didn't help with my expectations, but I actually thought it was much better than it could have been (see: King of Fighters Anime). The plot is just as weird and all over the place as the game is, but it's fun to see the characters come alive and basically just give us fanservice... I mean.... that's all I was expecting anyways. Opening/Ending songs suck. If I don't see Tsubaki at least once during the whole show I'll be really pissed, but I mean at the rate the show was going in episode one they'll be able to cover BBCS's story as well so, she should show up.

Shows I haven't watched, but am kinda interested in. Will wait for reviews by friends/internet

Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai: Studio Lerche really is the attracting factor here, but the synopsis sounds like the main character will be another Naruto, also I feel like it could get too mecha for me.

Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku o Ketsui Shimashita: A poor man's Hataraku? Studio Asread kinda pushes me away, and Hataraku basically did a similar premise near-perfect, I don't know if I wanna watch a potentially strictly worse version of the same show.

Log Horizon: Sounds really dumb, but I liked SAO.

Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!: Again, sounds really really dumb, but at the same time sounds funny, only time will tell.

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru: I might actually check this out without hearing anything first, I was on edge about it but the more I think about it the more I want to see it. Studio Diomedea + school romantic comedy sounds like a good mix.

Galilei Donna: I feel like this show could be really boring, but the premise sounds remotely interesting, I'll wait for some others' opinions.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

16 shows, potentially anywhere from 15 to 22 I could end up watching, still a down-size from last season, but I was expecting to have a lighter load than this anyways. I came to realize last season that watching on average 3 shows a day was really easy and relaxing, seeing how I do enjoy watching some every day anyways, so I'm not really as concerned as I was before that watching this much will take up too much time.

What are you guys watching? If you share any shows with me what are your thoughts on them? We can make threads for them as usual.

When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart.
Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall 2013: Super late edition

Post  Tekkaman Calamity on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:45 pm

I didn't watch Ars, I was just testing the waters in case I needed to tear out my eyes. Also, why are you watching so many sports shows?

Sequels:
VVV: We're at sunk cost fallacy now. I just need to know how this abomination ends.

IS2: Ease back on the CG fights (on account of all their CG staff is gone) and we're gold.

Show Time:

Kill la Kill: It's fun and silly. I've taken up shows using less sensible reasoning.

Golden Time: I'm in love, but if the pacing goes south I may drop it.

White Album 2: My #1 this season. They've managed to capture the art feel of the game and they've got the game writer on board. This thing won best of 2011 and from what I'm hearing of the players they've nailed the anime, so I have a cautious optimism that WA2 will actually be a good VN adaptation.

Meh:
BlazBlue: In desperate need of my Imajin injections.

Log Horizon: Meh, seemed alright, but you never know. Already like it better than the second half of SAO.

Pupa: I can't judge what I haven't watched.

Brain Meet Nail:
Walkure Romanze: Take what I wrote for White Album 2, this is the exact opposite. Low brow humor, protagonist with the personality of paper and Kyle is missing from the roster. Judging from the promos it's also going to be Mio's route and... ugh... I can probably make it through this, but I'm going to need tons of Kawashima Rino's sweet sweet voice. 8bit I'm not asking for much here!

Overall around 9 pickups, with 4 potential drops.

1% Waifu Material

Number of posts : 1740

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumara on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:40 pm

So I dropped Valkyrie Romance for Log Horizon and Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai.

Tekkaman Calamity wrote:I didn't watch Ars, I was just testing the waters in case I needed to tear out my eyes. Also, why are you watching so many sports shows?

White Album 2: My #1 this season. They've managed to capture the art feel of the game and they've got the game writer on board. This thing won best of 2011 and from what I'm hearing of the players they've nailed the anime, so I have a cautious optimism that WA2 will actually be a good VN adaptation.

I REALLY like Kuroko no Basket, so I'm hoping the baseball one can get anywhere near as good. I think I'm only watching 3 sports shows right?

I'm also really glad to hear what you said about WA2, like I said the first episode was top 3 favorite first ep so far this season and I'm excited to see the rest.

Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumara on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Thahn, what's VVV?
And you watched Little Busters' first season right? Why not the sequel? To be fair I don't want to watch it either but I figure I should finish it.

Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Back to top Go down

Post  Tekkaman Calamity on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Chumara wrote:Thahn, what's VVV?
And you watched Little Busters' first season right? Why not the sequel? To be fair I don't want to watch it either but I figure I should finish it.
VVV is Valvrave...

Also, I lost the will to continue with LB and dropped it at some point. Maybe I'll pick it up for the Kurugaya route.

1% Waifu Material

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumara on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:52 pm

I think I was wondering because they did the Kurugaya route first, but they're kinda taking an odd path with the storyline IIRC......... maybe it's just been a looong time. I'm really hoping they don't drag the show on for 24 eps though, even though I feel like they will.

Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Back to top Go down

Post  Tekkaman Calamity on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Well I dropped Golden Time and VVV (sunk cost fallacy be damned, my brain said no more!)

Log Horizon is a surprise entertainment for me, it's been getting better with each week.

1% Waifu Material

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumara on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Log Horizon is surprisingly good.
Golden Time is having more ups and downs than Six Flags, I wanted to drop it when his ghost-self showed up, but the last episode was really good. So I'll stick with it for now.

Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Back to top Go down

Post  Tekkaman Calamity on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 am

And log horizon concludes. That was a two cours well spent. Admittedly, I was apprehensive about the show when it first began, writing it off as a SAO follow the leader. However, it went in a different direction with better writing and characters.

So overall grade A stuff. Dodgy budget at times though.

1% Waifu Material

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumara on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Yeah Log Horizon wasn't the most beautiful show, but it made it up with good writing and a great cast of characters. Definitely one of the few gems in a sea of mediocrity that we've had in the last 6 months.
Wholeheartedly looking forward to season 2.

Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top