Japanese Media Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Spring 2024
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:06 pm by Chumara

» Winter 2024
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 11:15 pm by Chumara

» Fall 2023
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 24, 2023 8:37 pm by Chumara

» Summer 2023
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2023 7:54 pm by Chumara

» Spring 2023
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 pm by Chumara

» Winter 2023
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2022 2:40 am by Chumara

» Fall 2022
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 9:33 pm by Chumara

» Summer 2022
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2022 3:11 pm by Chumara

» Spring 2022
Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 11:41 pm by Chumara

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season

3 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season - Page 6 Empty Re: Spring 2014: "I finally won't be out of town" season

Post  Chumara Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Tekkaman Calamity wrote:You are already dead.

Black Bullet in review:

Ahem, BB did not have good pacing. Fights ended incredibly quickly and we just pretty much went from one scene to the next. Also some tragedies lacked impact because well... we didn't spend enough time with them! Other scenes kinda dragged on for awhile with no real point.

It did not have good character writing. A lot of the characters are poorly developed. Most evil characters kinda got off on being evil and didn't exhibit much thinking. Others didn't get any writing at all. WTH was the deal with sunglasses other than just being a body to make their final unit a nice odd number?

It did not have good budgeting.

Yet despite all of these flaws, I loved this show half to death and counted down each week.

I dunno, the whole loli cuteness one moment and then loli abuse the next kept me hooked for more. Also themes of prejudice, revenge, and existentialism. I thought these things were pretty well explored, though they kinda went overboard with the prejudice at times, and there were plenty of times the show drove me into a rage and actually kind of made me care about the main cast.

7/10 would watch a season 2

So I didn't have much to say, and then the last episode happened, now I do.

For the most part I agree with your review. While the show did some questionable decisions and made me question WTF? sometimes, I have to note that it also touched on things that most other animes just throw to the curb, for instance instead of Kisara just being a "girl who's always been sickly" we are told that she has to go in for Dialysis for a failing Liver. These are all source-material issues though.

On the subject of the pacing, I actually think the first two arcs (Kagetane being bad-guy arc, and Tina's arc) were done relatively well, but yes some fights ended far too quickly. I think I relate this to Freezing in that using the monsters that they have to fight against and the mysteries surrounding them are well used as a pretense for the plot, but as soon as you focus on them the show starts to suffer. I would have rather seen Black Bullet continue with enemies and conflicts revolving around world political issues and backstory revelations (like Kagetane and Rentaro being a part of the mecha-human project thing). Once the Godzilla Aldebaraan arc started, I felt the show took a sharp dive and it lost it's #3 best (new show) slot to Brynhildr, but actually after seeing both last episodes I have to give it to Black Bullet again because that last episode was actually good, and Brynhildr's was comically bad.

On the subject of characterizations, I agree that the characters were all static throughout the show, with the exception of Tina switching sides and LAST EPISODE EVIL-KISARA I KNOW YOU LOVED THE SHIT OUT OF THAT THAHN. That being said, I liked the characters; Rentaro was a likable brotag, the lolis were all great, Kisara and Ojou-sama's rivalry was awesome, and Seitenshi was the white knight lady that would put Harvey Dent to shame.

Aside from the specifics, yes, the prejudice theme was well done and the setting was created pretty well. Also loli island was hilarious in the first episode's end.
All in all, BB brought to light a lot of good usable backstory and decided to ignore it for 8 episodes, but this ending suggests more in the future, and I'll be eagerly waiting.

9/10 (effective 8 on my list)
Chumara
Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6