Japanese Media Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Winter 2024
The 2018 winter list  EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 11:15 pm by Chumara

» Fall 2023
The 2018 winter list  EmptySun Sep 24, 2023 8:37 pm by Chumara

» Summer 2023
The 2018 winter list  EmptyTue Jun 20, 2023 7:54 pm by Chumara

» Spring 2023
The 2018 winter list  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 pm by Chumara

» Winter 2023
The 2018 winter list  EmptyMon Dec 26, 2022 2:40 am by Chumara

» Fall 2022
The 2018 winter list  EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 9:33 pm by Chumara

» Summer 2022
The 2018 winter list  EmptyTue Jul 05, 2022 3:11 pm by Chumara

» Spring 2022
The 2018 winter list  EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 11:41 pm by Chumara

» Winter 2022
The 2018 winter list  EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 9:21 pm by Chumara

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

The 2018 winter list

2 posters

Go down

The 2018 winter list  Empty The 2018 winter list

Post  take-mikazuchi Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 pm

I almost called this thread the exact same as last winter. But let's not do that.

Continuations

Garo: Vanishing Line - This show actually isn't bad. On the other hand, I'm a little too deep to back out even after realizing it's a tokusatsu genre. But honestly I forget even that detail.

Sequels

OverLord 2 - I actually really enjoyed this show the first time around. The disconnect between the real world and game world makes it more enjoyable.

Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu - Was a surprisingly good show initially. This gon' be hype as shit.

The New Stuff

Violet Evergarden - I missed the premier at Anime Expo, but time went by fast so it's a moot point. KyoAni almost never disappoints.

Fate/Extra Last Encore - More Fate by another studio. Shaft is doing this one, but I don't expect it to be any better than Apocrypha. At this point it's about how much you like the involved servants.

citrus - Shoujo ai with a plot thicc-er than 2B. Yayeah.

Darling in the Franxx - I almost feel obligated to watch Trigger's stuff just so I can rip on the casual fucks that don't actually [ACTUALLY] like anime. Like, this show is gonna be dumb AF but everyone's gonna choke down Trigger's D because it's the 2nd cumming of Gurren Lagann.

Kokkoku - From the synopsis, it sounds interesting but time manipulation has to be done carefully. Definitely one of the most seinen shows on the chart, which means nobody but me will be watching it.

Grancrest Senki - Otherwise known as Granblue's heroic legend of Arslan. At least from the title and image PVs. After reading about it, it just reminds me of a Destiny PvP mode. "Slay enemy guardians and claim their crests" -Shaxx

Beatless - supercell is involved somewhere, or so I've heard. Also androids.

Maybes

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens - It's....action-y but not really? Like, tonewise seems too upbeat to be taken seriously.

Ryuuou no Oshigoto - Champion Shogi player gets rekt by an elementary schooler? Damn child prodigies.

Totals

10 for sure
12 with maybes

Conclusion
Sounds about right for me. Anime is over-saturated nowadays. I've reached the higher state of being according to gigguk's video on the life cycle of an anime fan. It's not feasible to consume every show on the damn chart. I had exactly 10 on my final list from last season and honestly I just right-arrowed thru some of the episodes of a few shows. That's not a good sign. Just shows that some of them weren't all that interesting or worth the 20 some odd minutes. Out of those 10 shows, I'd say about 2 of them were "good." At least this next season most of the shows on my list should be right-arrow free.

take-mikazuchi
Tsundere

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2014-03-25

Back to top Go down

The 2018 winter list  Empty Re: The 2018 winter list

Post  Chumara Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm

The season is basically started, and I'm just getting around to this:

Continuations/Sequels

3-gatsu no Lion 2: Still good, still going. I do like this season better than the first, and I really liked the first still.

Mahoutsukai no Yome: I didn't think I was going to like this show as much as I do, it's not very often a show about magic and fantasy can develop characterization and story as well as this one.

Nanatsu no Taizai: I've been waiting a long time for this

Overlord II: I didn't actually think this show would get more, but I'm glad it did. I feel like if they were never going to show the connection to the real world, then they'd have just kept it as a fantasy anime in the first place, but maybe it'll just say fuck it and never actually show real life or anything like that.

New Stuff

Beatless: Pls no Clockwork Planet pt.2

citrus: The thing that worries me the most about this show is Passione, Rail Wars was a really bad show...... and as a side note I now just realized that they're taking over Animation Production on HighSchool DxD for the next season............ shit

Darling in the Franxx: I literally hate everything I read in the synopsis, but I'll give it an ep at least for Trigger.

Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku: The guy livin' the dream, and done by Silver Link, sounds like a winner.

Fate/EXTRA Last Encore: I hope a servant dies by extreme head tilting.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens: I hope this is as entertaining as it sounds.

Hakumei to Mikochi: This sounds insanely boring, but I'll give it a shot for Lerche.

Ito Junji: Collection: Anime's never ending quest to actually make a scary anime, but DEEN's track record hasn't been that bad recently, so let's check it out.

Killing Bites: LIDENFILMS can make some good dark action, but my anti-furry radar is going off the charts, so I might not be able to take it.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni: This would be kinda illegal in America.

Kokkoku: Who the fuck is Geno Studio? I'll check it out.

Mitsuboshi Colors: I'll give it one for the Silver Link.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san: Sounds moe as fuck.

Ryuuou no Oshigoto!: Yeah I don't know how to play Shogi, but I'll see if it's entertaining enough regardless. Probably dropping.

Slow Start: I feel like in a society as strict as Japan, this type of problem would mean a lot to someone, I hope the issues are conveyed well in this show, could be good.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho: I actually wasn't going to watch this, but the first episode came out and so I'm gonna check it out because there's nothing else new to watch atm.

Toji no Miko: I can see myself dropping this fast.

Violet Evergarden: Creme de la creme

Yuru Camp△: I dunno what to say here

Shorts

25-sai no Joshikousei: Sounds like a fun romance.

Dagashi Kashi: I don't remember this show being a short before, but I guess it is now....... that's good though, I can't watch this show for too long.

Takunomi: This is a rare plot for anime.

27 with a lot of drop potential, kinda thick, but I think it'll cut down easily.
Chumara
Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  take-mikazuchi Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Mid point update

This isn't necessary but fuck it.

I ended up dropping both Ryuuou no Oshigoto and Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. They weren't awful but they weren't something I cared to keep up with.

I dropped Darling in the Franxx because that show actually sucks.

Kokkoku isn't impressing me as much as I'd hoped. Might take the spot for biggest let down.

Beatless and Grancrest Senki are actually my favorite shows this season. Grancrest definitely takes the surprise hit (RKO) from out of nowhere award.

Citrus is low on my priority and I have a feeling I know exactly how it's going to end, and it's going to be about as average as any other shoujo ai.

OverLord 2 is still enjoyable but definitely not as exciting as season 1.

Fate is just Fate. Like I kinda don't understand the universe. So they're in cyberspace? But like he's there and alive? 100 floor dungeon to ascend? dafuq.

Violet Evergarden - So go back and skim through KyoAni's past few works and they somehow make them all look like utter shit compared to this.

Aaaaand the guilty pleasure award goes to Killing Bites. It's a dumb show, it knows it's dumb, I know it's dumb, everyone else that's watching it knows it's dumb, but it's fun

take-mikazuchi
Tsundere

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2014-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumara Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Violet Evergarden is so damn compelling, yeah I agree with most of what you said on the shows that I'm watching as well
Chumara
Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down