Japanese Media Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Spring 2024
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:06 pm by Chumara

» Winter 2024
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 11:15 pm by Chumara

» Fall 2023
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptySun Sep 24, 2023 8:37 pm by Chumara

» Summer 2023
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptyTue Jun 20, 2023 7:54 pm by Chumara

» Spring 2023
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 pm by Chumara

» Winter 2023
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptyMon Dec 26, 2022 2:40 am by Chumara

» Fall 2022
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 9:33 pm by Chumara

» Summer 2022
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptyTue Jul 05, 2022 3:11 pm by Chumara

» Spring 2022
Watching Dubbed Anime EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 11:41 pm by Chumara

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Watching Dubbed Anime

+3
[DR]
Tekkaman Calamity
trigoman
7 posters

Go down

Watching Dubbed Anime Empty Watching Dubbed Anime

Post  trigoman Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Hello guys,

This is just pretty much a post just to see what you folks think. I recently started constantly watching anime this summer, however most of the stuff I watch is dubbed in English or Spanish. I know that one of the reasons people watch subbed anime is because the newer stuff takes longer to get dubbed, but is there any other reason why you guys prefer subbed over dubbed.

I've heard one response and it was because subs are more accurate than dubs, but I think that is BS. I have seen movies where Spanish subs are used and they are not always accurate to what the people are saying.

But anyway, what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jose

trigoman
Loli

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Watching Dubbed Anime Empty Re: Watching Dubbed Anime

Post  Tekkaman Calamity Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 pm

I watched FMP dubbed, after that I swore off dubs.
Tekkaman Calamity
Tekkaman Calamity
1% Waifu Material

Number of posts : 1741
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  [DR] Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm

It really depends on the series and the cast for the dubbing as there are some decent dubs especially in older anime (in my opinion).
Primarily though it's just one's preference, wanting the original voice acting that's on the show originally.
[DR]
[DR]
Zashiki Warashi

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-01-23

https://asu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=10051425

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumara Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm

For me, I like subs because 1. The voice acting usually feels more right for the character than the English counterpart (the only exception is Goku From DBZ) 2. I like learning the language as I watch the show 3. Even though Americans are much better actors they're far worse IMO at portraying emotions and tones than the Japanese are probably because of how large the industry is over there. I watch dubs for fun sometimes just to see how well of a job it is though.
Chumara
Chumara
O-Haruhi-Sama

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryuuka Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Probably 99% of dubbers are incapable of capturing the original essence of their character. That probably goes for every language.
Ryuuka
Ryuuka
Zashiki Warashi

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  roleplayfever Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 am

From what I recall from some convention panels, U.S. voice actors are given short notice on the lines and emotions they have to do, then they have to mach somewhat to the lip flaps, which might cause the lack of emotion people say.
Personally I can watch either or comfortably, depends on the series and the translation.
This is a pretty old debate tho.
roleplayfever
roleplayfever
Zashiki Warashi

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-01-23

https://asu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=782804077

Back to top Go down

Post  TI83 Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:54 am

So like i cant watch dubs, accept for in the case of outlaw star and cowboy bebop, those are the only two i have ever watched where the voice acting is actually pretty good. more importantly anyone who watches dubs is a heathen. uhh back when i used to watch bleach i would watch in moon runes obv, then they decided to release it on adult swim. the english voice actors voices literally cut into my skin, also azumanga and school rumble were also really painfull but i only watched minutes of those just to see how bad they really were. i once'ed watched beck all the way through in englishand while it wasn't that bad, when i watched it in japanesse so much more of the show made alot more sense cause its really hard to get engrish in English. the main problems with dubs is this, when u translate jappanese on paper its possible to put the exact meaning of what was said on paper, but when it comes to actually saying you run into about three problems of the top of my head.

1. you have to get what u translated into the same number of sylables as it takes to say it in jap or else u run into this problem of the characters mouths not sinking up whats being said, u ever watch dubbed kung fu movie same idea

2. like Shakespeare the real appeal is being able to listen to the play not reading it so while we may have translated it to fit in the word of the character our voice actor has a hard time capturing the soul of whats being said if romeo stood up on window and bassically said to julliet," i want to plow you" people wouldn't find it so special.so for me while i might now understand japanese at all when i listen to it i can feel all of the emotion the voice actor put into it, and not what the american who had to go through all of these language barriers just to put something on tape.

3.the jap language is a verry funny thing with lots of puns, and other stuff that when u say it in english its just not that level of entertaining like while i enjoy a jap pun if u have ever watched someone try to say one in english its feels so out of place and important character interaction is just lost cause of all of these translation barriers

4. japanese voice actors have the most amazing voices ever only rivaled by packtrik warburton the voice of krunk and brock sampson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7pyxpJFj18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrDw-3xBGN0&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFBZBAbbKt8&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1AEvN8VZs
all im saying is i could listen to this mans voice for forever

also i could write a book on this subject
TI83
TI83
Tsundere

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down